Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Now That's What I Call Cost Savings

So I had to bring my car into the dealer today because every time I braked, my brakes made this horrible grating noise. For one it was kind of annoying, for two, anyone who drove with me thought that my brakes were going to fail at any moment, plunging them into a fiery death. As my car is still under warranty I was forced to go the dealer.

While I was there, I was told that my car was due for it's 20k service, which entailed an oil change, tire balancing, emergency brake tweaking, whatever the fuck that is, and a car wash. I needed a car wash. I needed an oil change. I needed my tires rotated. Seemed like a good deal to me.

Several hours later they called to tell me that the noise is normal, however there was an update out for my car, so they replaced the brake pads with new ones. Odd that an update for a car is new brakes however I can't see how my failing brakes would be fixed with software, so I guess it makes sense. Anyway, they also told me that my front tires were out of alignment and as a result they were worn down and needed to be replaced to the tune of 400 bucks. Yeah, I don't think so.

When I picked up my car, the guy explained everything that had been done and then proceeded to try and send me on my way without me paying for anything. When I told him that I needed to pay for the 20k service, he looked confused and then said "But you declined the service." I told him that I declined the new tires, but not the service. Whoopsie. He was very apologetic and said that they could take care of it right away, but I couldn't stay and I figured that if I had to get new tires, getting my existing tires rebalanced and rotated probably wasn't worth it. I told him not to worry and went on my way.

When I went out to my car, I noticed that the car had been washed. Sweet! Free car wash! As I was driving home, I noticed the temperature display. My car has a charming feature that when your oil life gets down to 15%, every time you start the car, the engine light comes on and your normal temperature and trip odometer display is replaced with the oil life. The only way to reset it is to change the car's oil. My car wasn't showing the oil life, it was showing the temperature and the trip odometer. Then I looked up in the corner of my windshield and there was the sticker thanking me for going to the dealer, and that I needed my next service at 25k. Sweet! Free 20k service, or at least free oil change!

When I left the dealership, the service guy said that I'd be getting a survey in the mail and that he knows he'll get dinged on the service snafu, but the only way he passes if I give him "excellent" across the board. Sir, you just saved me 100 bucks. I'd say that's pretty fucking excellent.

No comments: