Thursday, January 24, 2008

New Laptop

I'm writing this post from my spiffy new laptop. Whee for me.

Without getting into what happened to the old one, for fear of corporate reprisals, let's just say that I used to have a laptop that I used while gaming, and now I don't. Given that the lack of a laptop was my fault entirely, I took it upon myself to purchase a new one. Hence this one.

So far, I'm enjoying it, although it's a little slower and a little warmer than the Dell. I am convinced that this is entirely Vista's fault, however I have no direct evidence. Vista certainly is one slick looking little OS, and I can't bring myself to turn off all of the visual flourishes, even if they make it hard to watch hi-def Quicktime trailers. I'm not all that upset though, as this laptop was about a quarter of the cost of the Dell, so I'd be kind of miffed if the Dell wasn't as speedy, even if it is a few years old. The Dell runs XP, which may not be as pretty, but it works just fine.

One may wonder why I need a laptop for when I'm playing games if we have another one, but I'd rather not get into it lest I confront the depths of my madness.

The purchase of this laptop has shown me how incredibly behind the PC times I have become. You can blame my various consoles for this as I have no need to keep up to date on drivers and security systems when playing on the 360 or the Wii. If the cost of conducting my gaming entirely on consoles is PC ignorance, then I will gladly pay it. There's a reason I got out of PC gaming, and having to figure out the best way to make sure my OS didn't fry my computer was one of them. Nothing I have done in the past 4 hours to get this new rig up to speed has made me want to come back.

1 comment:

Booster MPS said...

I am about two years over due for a new computer these days. I think a lap top would fit the bill for my needs these days and Dell is high on my list. Buy a Mac? Not sure about that one.