Thursday, March 06, 2008

Brett Favre

While I'm not surprised that Brett Favre retired, I am disappointed. Whenever you see someone who is not only talented, but has so much fun doing their job, it's a joy to watch them. There are so many professional athletes who spend so much time whining about this slight or that slight, that when you do see someone who just genuinely enjoys playing the game, it's a nice change. Oh, I'm sure that Favre had his moments too and I just don't know about them, but when you watched him play, he just seemed to be having the time of his life.

From a more personal perspective, he took over for the Packers in the 92 season, which was only two years before I graduated from college. I didn't start following football again until after I had graduated, so for all of those years I was watching, Brett Favre was playing. To think that it's been 16 years is odd, because it means that I've been out of school for almost 16 years. Between this little reminder and the fact that in October, Linda and I will celebrate 17 years together the writing is on the wall that I am, in fact getting older. Not that I mind as my getting older means that the kids are getting older which means that Linda and I are that much closer to getting them the hell out of the house. It's just strange how you can blink your eye and 16 years have passed. Brett Favre has more NFL records than you can shake a stick at to show for his 16 years. Me, I have a kick ass Lego Batmobile in my bedroom. Oddly enough, I'm pretty happy with that.

Anyway, thanks for all of the good NFL moments, Mr. Favre. Enjoy the next chapter of your life, whatever you may do and wherever it may take you. If you ever find yourself back in Atlanta, you're welcome to stop by and check out the Lego sets. The Batmobile in the bedroom is particularly impressive.

No comments: