Saturday, February 02, 2008

A Long Time Coming

Congratulations to Darrell Green and Art Monk for their election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. This is Monk's 8th year on the ballot and as a Redskins fan, I'm super proud that two of our guys are being inducted in the same year.

Art Monk is synonymous with Redskins Football to me, as he was a key offensive player for so many of the years I've been a fan. The fact that it took so long for him to be inducted sucks, but I'm glad that he finally got his due.

Darrell Green is one of the best all around players, and probably one of the best examples of a "True Redskin" to ever put on the burgundy and gold. He spent his entire career with the organization and rather than be flashy and do nothing but talk trash, he just consistently performed year after year. My 70th anniversary Redskins jersey is Green's jersey and whenever I feel like we need a full team effort, I wear it, because to me, he embodies what it means to be a Redskin more than any other player.

This past year was a rough one, and with the current coaching search, I don't have high hopes for next year, so having these two guys getting in to the Hall of Fame is a nice boost, because it brings back a lot of memories of when the NFC East was the division to beat, and all roads to the Super Bowl went through Washington.

No comments: