Tuesday, July 01, 2008

All Binky, All the Time

GameShark is ruled by Mr. Binky today as my latest column is up as well as my review of Secret Agent Clank. The column is a Baldur's Gate 2 story I've had in my head for a couple of years now, I just never put it down on paper. I think it turned out pretty well, and it had all of the beats I intended, so I'm pretty pleased. Plus, I got paid for it, which is something that wouldn't have happened had I written it when it was originally conceived. The Secret Agent Clank review reads better than it did when I first wrote it, without any extra editing, so I'm pleasantly surprised at that one. Sometimes I like stuff when I write it, sometimes I don't. I don't edit my stuff, which can be a good or a bad thing, choosing to ruminate over the piece in my head well before I put it on paper, so when I don't like something, I kind of feel like I don't know what else to do with it, so I just submit it anyway. It's not like I think that the piece is crap, more like a meal that is perfectly edible, you just wish it tasted different, and slightly better.

In other news, Circuit City continued to provide an absolutely shitty retail experience today as I attempted to get rid of the gift card I've been toting around for two months now. I don't know what it is about this store that they feel the need to carry absolutely nothing but their bitter seeds will eventually bear the rancid fruit of bankruptcy and I will dance in the fucking streets when that happens. Seriously, if it weren't for the fact that my not using the gift card would mean money for nothing for them, I'd cut the damn thing up and throw it out. Of course, it would probably show back up in my wallet like some kind of cursed monkey paw, forever chained to my person, but at least the act of cutting it up would be cathartic. I've heard many people complain about Best Buy, but at least when I go there, they actually have things, to, you know, buy. I may not be well versed in a lot of things, but I'm pretty sure me going to a store and being able to buy things sums up the very heart of the retail experience. Anything on top of that is just gravy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. The Baldurs Gate games hold a very warm place in my heart - I've still got BG2 installed on my machine at home. I'll probably go back to it when I finish the Penny Arcade game. I've played through the Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale games many times, but never finished Throne of Bhaal. I gots to do that.