Monday, May 07, 2007

News from the Front

Last night I was treated to a balls to the wall explosion of Nerdcore Hip-Hop by none other than the godfather of the movement, MC Frontalot.

The Front put on an amazing show to a packed audience of approximately 50 or so people. While that may seem like an extremely low number, there are a few things to consider. One, is that it was a Sunday night. Two is that wack sucka punks were expressly forbidden from entering. This may have had a detrimental effect on the number of people attending, however the quality of the audience members far exceeded anything you'd find at a mainstream concert.

And what a concert it was! Front had a live band behind him and they did an admirable job providing him with the mad beats he thrives on. He played a nice mix of old and new stuff, and even used a 20 sided die to spin a tale of nerdcore hip-hop like the world has never seen. "Secrets From the Future", "Origin of the Species", "Special Delivery" and "I Heart Fags" were particularly rocking and threatened to shake the world's very foundation.

As great as the music was, the best part of the evening was being able to chat with Front, and his band leader Gaby prior to the show. Front was kind enough to sell me a t-shirt and autograph a cd prior to his set, however the opening band was so loud, I was unable to communicate except for crude hand gestures. I don't know about you, but I am unable to convey deep musical appreciation with only my hands. Upon returning from the restroom, I saw him chilling outside and decided to do the usual fanboy thing and completely butt in on his personal time. Oh yeah.

Front was very gracious in taking the time to speak to me. It's rare to be able to express, in person, one's gratitude to the artists that provide us with so much enjoyment. I told him how much I loved the new album and how the hooks and beats were so good, that I couldn't see any reason why it couldn't compete with anything on the radio. He seemed pleased, and even said, that I should tell Gaby, the aforementioned band leader, the same thing. He then called Gaby over with a "Hey Gaby, he really likes the record." He then politely excused himself so that he could get changed for the show. I chatted with Gaby for another 10 minutes before he had to leave about a number of topics including the upcoming Nerdcore documentary,"Nerdcore Rising", how well the current album is doing and how past shows went. Gaby was just as nice and as accommodating as Front was and even suggested that I email Baddd Spellah to tell him how much I enjoyed the beats on Front's album. For the record, I have done just that.

After the show, Front was back selling merchandise and posing for pictures. I complimented him on his awesome performance and my friend Joel snapped the following picture.

If you were to suggest that Front and yours truly were separated at birth, I would not deny it. I usually don't wear glasses except for when driving, but seeing how I was among my people, I felt comfortable enough wearing them. It's been a long time since I've felt comfortable wearing glasses. I even got complimented on my shirt by someone who said that they'd seen it online, and always wanted to buy it, but never were brave enough to actually wear it out. Apparently it takes a special kind of person to wear in public a shirt depicting a monkey milking a cow. I am just that special.

You've still got some time to see Front out on tour, and if you can, please do so. You'll be supporting a great artist and will be treated to an evening of fantastic live music in the process. Seems too easy, I know, but I checked, and there's just the right amount of ease involved.

3 comments:

Mister Bones said...

I'm not familiar with this "nerdcore" you refer to, but something tells me I should be. I'll have to see if I can find that new cd somewhere.

Brandon Cackowski-Schnell said...

You can find it at Frontalot.com or on iTunes. If you decide to go the part and parcel route, I wholeheartedly recommend "Secrets from the Future", "Livin' at the Corner of Dude & Catastrophe", "Origin of the Species" and "Gonna Be Your Man".

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm gonna have to check this out.