Thursday, April 17, 2008

Wii Fit

I preordered Wii Fit today, partially because I'm reviewing it, and partially because I am physically incapable of letting a Nintendo peripheral enter the market without buying it. It is a sickness and I readily admit it.

I was originally interested when Wii Fit was first announced as the various mini games sounded like they could be fun, but mostly because I want to try my hand at yoga (don't laugh). My pathetic attempts at trying at home are always met with "am I doing this correct, because it sure doesn't feel that way". Now, I could go take a class some place, but that would require that I actually leave the house and that ain't gonna happen. That's not to say that the yoga I'll be doing with Wii Fit is anything like real yoga, but it's exercise, of which I am currently doing none. For the ten days after I get it, I'm guaranteed to do it every night, no doubt making my fat ass Mii very happy, but it's anyone's guess how much I'll do it after that. I'm going to try and do it at least every other day, if only for 30 minutes or so, but we'll see how it goes.

I don't exercise because I don't enjoy it, and because I enjoy doing other things more. If Wii Fit is fun there's a better chance I'll stick with it. Bottom line is that I need to lose weight as I've collected a fair amount around my middle section and various, recent medical studies have shown that belly fat is responsible for pretty much every bad thing in the world, from bad breath to impoverished nations and I'll be damned if my gut kills another kitten.

I'm more excited for We Ski the upcoming skiing game used with the balance board. It's only 30 bucks, and it has something like 70 runs and over 200 pieces of equipment you can get for your Mii. I am deathly afraid of skiing, a story for another time, so this game will allow me to hit the slopes, and get a little exercise out of it. That combination of gaming and activity is exactly what I need to try and get a little more exercise under my ever lengthening belt. If the upcoming Don King boxing game ends up using the balance board well, I'd consider it too despite the game sharing a name with one of the most odious men in professional sports.

I have a feeling that this thing is going to sell through the roof, which means that everyone and their mother will start getting fit, or there will be a whole slew of nice, white monitor stands out there. I hope to use mine to better effect and maybe lose a pound or ten. Granted, it's going to take more than just a fancy balance board and some games. I have to make a commitment as well, but knowing the type of lazy person that I am, anything that can blend exercise and gaming has a better change of holding my interest than just straight up exercise. Soon I'll be a svelte, sexy, gaming beast and then I can go back to my slothful ways. Baconators for all!

No comments: